This is a great Spring or Summer pasta dish!
Fettuccini with Zucchini & Mint Pesto
Hands-On Time: 20 Minutes
Special Equipment: Food Processor, Microplane (or Grater)
- 1 Zucchini, with 1/8 Cup’s worth cut into matchsticks, the rest into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 Garlic Clove, Thinly Sliced
- 5 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, Divided into one 2 Tbsp and one 3 Tbsp Portions
- Generous Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Roasted Almonds, Chopped
- Zest from 1/2 Lemon
- 2 Tbsp Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
- 1/8 Cup Finely Chopped Mint, Plus Sprinkle more for Garnish
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 9 oz Fettuccini
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, sauté for 1-2 minutes, then, add the red pepper flakes and sauté another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cubed zucchini and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set up the food processor and add almost all of the chopped almonds (reserving some for garnish) and the remaining 3 Tbsp olive oil.
- Once becoming translucent, with the skin starting to pucker some, transfer the zucchini/garlic/red pepper mixture to the food processor.
- Process for :30 seconds, check texture. Continue in :30 second increments until throughly incorporated but still chunky.
- Scrape pesto from food processor into mixing bowl.
- Place fettuccini in salted boiling water and cook according to package instructions.
- Gather lemon zest, cheese & mint into a small bowl and set aside. Place lemon juice, salt & pepper and garnishes at arm’s length.
- Drain pasta, saving about 1/4 cup of the pasta water (which you may or may not need to use.)
- Return pasta to pot and gently fold in the pesto, mixing until pasta is throughly coated. If necessary, sprinkle in pasta water to achieve desired consistency.
- Add in the lemon zest and juice, cheese, mint and salt and pepper.
- Garnish with reserved almonds, mint, and zucchini matchsticks.
I hope you love this – I think you will!