Here’s a reliable skillet cornbread recipe makeover. It has olive oil instead of shortening, which gives a richness of flavor in addition to moisture.
Updated Skillet Cornbread
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Special Equipment: 8″ cast iron skillet or 8″ baking pan.
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Maple or Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 & 1/2 Cups Buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F.
- Combine cornmeal – baking soda in a mixing bowl and whisk to incorporate.
- Add sugar, oil and buttermilk and stir gently until completely incorporated. Batter will seem very liquid-y.
- Set the skillet over low heat and add the butter. Swirl it around to coat the entire pan as it melts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet – the batter will go right to the brim – and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack or trivet at least 15 minutes before serving.