This dish is ready in twenty minutes and transports you to the Adriatic Coast!
Pasta with Fennel, Capers, Tuna & Lemon
Hands-On Time: 18-20 Minutes
Kitchen Equipment: Medium saucepan or frying pan, large pot for cooking pasta, colander, large stirring spoon, lemon zester or microplane, sharp knife, cutting board.
- 1 Six – Eight Oz jar or can good quality Tuna Olive Oil (I love the Tonnino brand) or for stronger flavor, Sardines in Olive Oil
- 1 Small Fennel Bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 Large Garlic clove, smashed & minced
- 1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 15 Oz Can Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp White Wine or Vermouth
- Zest from one Lemon
- Juice from 1/2 Lemon
- 1 Tbsp Capers (omit if using Sardines)
- 1/4 Cup Toasted Breadcrumbs
- Coarsely Chopped Fennel Fronds
- Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Box of Spaghetti or Linguine
- Assemble all measured and prepared ingredients and tools within arms reach of the stovetop.
- Set pasta water to boil in large pot.
- Drain about 1 Tbsp oil from the tuna or sardine can into the frying pan, over medium heat.
- Add the fennel and sauté until turning golden, about five minutes
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté, three – five minutes more
- Add the red pepper flakes and stir until fragrant, about one minute
- Add the tomatoes, juice & sauce included, plus the fish, leaving the fish in large chunks. (The chunks will reduce down as you stir normally and generally continue through the steps – breaking them down at this phase will create a mushy sauce.) Cook over medium – low heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced.
- Add the wine, again stirring occasionally until liquid is reduced.
- Add the capers, lemon zest and juice, stir once more to incorporate and cover to keep warm.
- Drop pasta into boiling water and cook per the package instructions – fine of course to do this simultaneously as you cook the sauce!
- Add 2/3 of the sauce to the cooked & drained pasta, and toss with almost all the breadcrumbs and fennel fronds.
- Place the mixed pasta and sauce in a serving bowl, and top with remaining sauce, crumbs and fronds.
- Garnish individually with a few more fronds and Parmesan.