Happy January 31st!!! Even though we are looking at some seriously low mercury plus extra-icy wind today, I am so excited to share this smoothie, because it maxes out seasonal produce to the best extent I’ve seen all Winter.
It’s citrus season, which means that right now we get to enjoy the best tasting oranges, grapefruits, limes and lemons of the year. Not only that, but also the best variety. Enter Blood Oranges, which almost taste like a raspberry crossed with an orange. They can look a little striking when sliced! Here, they contribute sweetness and texture in this smoothie that balances out the earthy raw-beet flavor. Avocado creates creaminess and serious satiating power with its healthy monounsaturated fat. Lastly, honey and a little vanilla tie the trio together.
We should be able to get Blood Oranges through March.
I came across this killer combo because I follow British Vogue! They often feature a duo of talented food contributors named Hemsley & Hemsley (sisters actually) who are the geniuses behind this fantastic blend. Thank you Melissa & Jasmine!
Winter Smoothie with Blood Oranges, Beets & Avocado
Hands-On Time: 10 Minutes
Kitchen Equipment: Blender, Sharp Knife & Cutting Board, Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1 Medium Ripe Avocado
- Small – Medium sized Beet, washed and trimmed
- 3 Medium Blood Oranges
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Water
- Peel the avocado & scoop out the flesh straight in to the blender.
- Peel the oranges, removing the pith to the greatest extent possible. (I sliced the pith completely off two of the three, plus spend a little more time removing the extra from the third one.) Add to the blender.
- Chop the beet into smallish pieces, add to blender.
- Add the cup of water to the blender.
- Blend on a low speed, then higher, until a smooth consistency is achieved.