These are amazing homemade energy bars.
Hands-On Time: 20 minutes
Special Equipment: 8×8 Square Non-stick Baking pan, plastic wrap.
- 1 Cup Puffed Millet Cereal
- 1 Cup Spring Training Granola
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1/2 Cup Chopped and Toasted Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Dried Unsulphered Apricots
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- Line the baking pan with a sheet of plastic wrap large enough to double back and overlap in the middle. Set aside.
- Melt the honey, peanut butter and salt in a small saucepan over low heat about five minutes. When you notice that the honey has become more liquid, whisk the ingredients together.
- Tip: add the honey to the saucepan first, as it heats up quickly without burning, and transfers the heat to the peanut butter, whereas the peanut butter is prone to burning quickly and ruining the batch if applied as the first layer.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to incorporate, then pour the melted mixture over the dry ingredients and stir throughly.
- Dump the bar mixture into the lined baking pan and gently press/smooth with the back of the mixing spoon or spatula to create an even surface.
- Fold the excess wrap back over the bar block and pat down.
- Place in the fridge for at least one hour to set.
- Unwrap the top of the plastic, and carefully lift to remove the block.
- Cut the square into eight bars. Wrap individually so they’re ready to grab for your next ride, school lunch or desk snack, or store batch in an airtight container.
Leave a Reply