These easy muffins are a nice departure from the typical sweeter ones I usually make – on the savorier side of the spectrum, but in this case by savory I mean a bit tangy, thanks to the lemon. The cornmeal adds a sturdy bite and the olive oil just enough richness. Be careful about the yogurt selection, as it can swing these into the too-tangy category! ‘Traditional’ (e.g. not Greek) plain yogurt does the trick. Kefir et al is little too tangy.
Enjoy these mid-week treats – delicious with honey!
Lemon, Olive Oil & Thyme Muffins
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes
Special Equipment: Microplane or Lemon Zester
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cups Cornmeal
- 2 & 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- Grated Lemon Rind from One Whole Lemon
- 4-5 Stalks worth of Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Granulated White Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Plain Yogurt (Not Greek)
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1-2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tbsp Water
- Cooking Spray (Olive Oil Spray recommended)
- Pre-heat the oven to 357 Degrees F.
- Coat muffin tin with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, lemon rind and thyme to a mixing bowl, whisk to throughly incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, egg and water.
- Pour the wet mixture into dry, and mix until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes before removing from tin.