For a little while now, I’ve dabbled with ‘healthy’ cookie recipes and have come to one main conclusion – this is by and large a recipe for dissapointment. There are a myriad of ‘Healthy Cookie’ recipes floating around in the ether, ranging from one that includes two sticks of butter to those that look like a haystack (and not the lovely coconut kind) and taste like a two by four. And after testing several HC concepts with no break for indulgence, my cookie legacy was starting to look like the place where fun goes to die.
This realization, combined with the chocolate overage in our cupboard, led to some some new decisions this week. One, we can occasionally enjoy a few non-cardboard cookies. And in fact there is a middle ground between the cookies that pack in half your daily calories and those that would be better off sopping up beer in a tavern. And two, since it’s okay to sometimes indulge, especially in this middle-ground manner, the editorial calendar here at From the Athlete’s Kitchen has been updated to include such a cookie recipe on the first Friday of every month.
Naturally for February, it had to be chocolate and these Double Chocolate with Orange Zest Cookies could not be a better place to start. I am pleased to say that you can very successfully replace butter with coconut oil here, and while they are not exactly sugar free, there is much less sugar than many traditional recipes. Also, this recipe makes 24 cookies, fewer than many, so you can enjoy and share, and then move along.
And oh man do these smell good when they are baking. I stood at the oven vent like a pup taking in fresh air out of the car window. Yummmmmmmm….
Time: 20 minutes
Hands-On Time: 12 – 15 minutes including clean up
Kitchen Equipment: Mixing bowls, whisks, measuring cups and spoons, cookie sheet, parchment paper
Servings: 24 cookies
– 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
– 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
– 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
– 1/4 Tsp Salt
– 3.5 Oz Dark Chocolate Bar, Finely Chopped
– Zest from One Orange
– 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil, Melted and Cooled
– 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
– 1 Egg
– 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
– Pre-heat oven to 350
– Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
– Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, orange zest and chocolate chips to a large mixing bowl and gently whisk to throughly incorporate
– In a separate bowl, beat together the cooled coconut oil, brown sugar, egg and vanilla with a whisk until throughly incorporated.
– Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl, scraping the sides of the wet bowl with a spatula as you go.
– Stir the wet & dry together until just mixed.
– Using a tablespoon, scoop out the dough and place on the prepared cookie sheet about two inches apart.
– Bake at 350 F for nine minutes, then set on cooling rack for at least 10 minutes before tasting!!
These might be great with berries and vanilla ice cream, only one way to find out…
Note: These cookies were adapted from TheAmbitiousKitchen.com