I first made this soup a year ago to the day, when carrots were one of the few veggies still in abundance at the farmer’s market in January, and our fridge was loaded with them. It’s delicious and makes a hearty portion, plus, it’s decidedly soup season no matter where in the country you are, so I pulled up the recipe last night to taste it again. This is a great weekday recipe, with ample downtime between steps allowing plenty of time for cleanup, prepping other items, and multi-tasking in general. Plus, it’s a great make-ahead and will last up to three days covered in the fridge or for a month in the freezer.
I did update the recipe a teeny bit, adding a little light coconut milk for a more robust texture and well rounded soup. I also upped the chicken broth content so the soup isn’t *quite* as thick. As satisfying as this soup was the first time around, I think it’s even better now!
Warming Ginger-Carrot Soup
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: Sharp Knife, Cutting Board, Roasting Pan or Cookie Sheet, Measuring Cups and Spoons, Mixing Bowl, Heavy Bottomed Pot or Dutch Oven, Immersion Blender or Blender
- 9 Large Carrots, Peeled and Separated: six cut into 2-3″ evenly sized pieces, three sliced cross-wise into 1/4″ disks
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Rib Celery, finely chopped
- 2 Tsp Powdered Ginger
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Light Coconut Milk, for finishing, plus additional salt as desired
Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F.
- Toss the 2-3″ sized carrots in a mixing bowl with the olive oil to throughly coat.
- Roast at 375 for 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients, chopping and measuring.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and set aside near the stove.
- Melt the butter in the heavy-bottomed pot over medium – low heat.
- Add the onions and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the celery and ginger and cook another 3 minutes, stirring regularly to throughly incorporate the ginger. If necessary, deglaze the ginger from the pot with a splash of the broth.
- Add the carrots, chicken broth, water and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer over low heat 45 minutes – one hour.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool 5-7 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, or, working in batches with a standing blender, blend until a velvety consistency is reached.
- Add coconut milk and blend once more to incorporate.
- Serve with cilantro or thyme, and if you like a dollop of Greek yogurt.